Skip to main content

Support a Charity Mountain Climb Up Kilimanjaro by Caroline O'Riordans In Aid Of Irish Cancer Research

Support Caroline O'Riordan on her Charity Mountain Climb Up Kilimanjaro for Irish Cancer Research

My name is Caroline O Riordan, I am from Mallow, Co. Cork. On the 17th of October 2016, I am taking on the challenge of climbing Kilimanjaro in Africa in aid of Irish Cancer Research. I am fundraising for cancer as my mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in July 2016. My young cousin spent 4yrs battling a tumour. I have lost friends and other members of my family because of cancer. I wanted to fundraise to help find ways to cure this dreadful disease.






You can support Caroline by donating through the Kanturk Hillwalkers & Mountain Climbers Facebook Page by clicking on the link below





I hurt my back in a car accident and had back surgery in 2013 and I broke my left ankle twice.  I was told I was not to exercise for longer than 20 mins a day, which played havoc with my mental health as I was always a sporty person. In 2015, I had a turning point, in which I met a personal trainer who told me "no one can tell you what you can and cannot do, that's in the power of your own mind." Since that meeting, I turned everything around and I am back in the gym twice a week, I run plenty of races and I have signed up with Kanturk Hillwalkers this year and through this club I have climbed Carrauntoill twice, Mangerton, The Paps, Tomies & Purple Mountain, Gougane Barra and MacGillycuddy Reeks.
I have trained as a Life Coach and N.L.P Practitioner and I now teach people the power of their own minds and that they can achieve anything they put their minds too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Claragh Loop

 The Claragh Loop is a great walk in North West Cork near Millstreet,   for our Club and our members it is not that far away and in some ways for us it is so close most people never bother doing it, thinking the far away fields are greener.  We use it as a Club Walk once a year but our members often use it go for a walk by themselves or in a small group regularly just to get out for a bit of fresh air or excercise.   To get there you go into Millstreet, turn down the road between Centra & the Church and travel out the Clara Rd. going past the turn off for the Mount Leader Industrial Estate for about a mile until you meet a Grotto and just beyond this you park on the right on the bend. If it is busy around here you may have to go back down to the Clara Rd. and walk back up,  You then proceed to walk up the small road on the town side of where you are after parking until you meet the entrance into the forest on your right . This is the start of the Claragh Loop.You then proceed up

Cumeengeera Horseshoe

Now that my biro has dried out the blog can finally be written. On Saturday 15 Sept. the club had originally planned to do the Gougane Barra loop,however it was changed to the Cumeengeera Horseshoe route. This is in the rugged Beara peninsula bordering Cork and Kerry. We set off westwards towards Kenmare on a dry morning. Arriving in Kenmare we stopped for tea / coffee, before heading through Lauragh and to the start of the hike at Shronebirrane stone circle. This is at the head of Rabach’s glen.  Called after Cornelius “Rabach” o Sullivan. Rabach means violent in Irish and Con earned his nickname well. In 1800 he murdered a sailor who called to his door one bad stormy wet night looking for shelter. He later murdered a woman who had witnessed the crime and had threatened to inform the police. Eventually he was caught and hanged in Tralee Gaol in 1831.... We climbed the Horseshoe in an anti clockwise direction. The weather was excellent but the climb was a thigh burning slog to reach t

St. Finbars Pilgrim Route -Kealkill To Gougane Barra

On Sunday 8th April the club walk was the Kealkill to Gougane Barra section of the Saint Finbarr’s Way. After leaving town at 09.15 we made our way to Gougane Barra, where we had coffee and left a car with our change of clothes. We then continued to Kealkill to begin our walk. As it was Pilgrim Path week the car park was full so we had to park in the village. We started at Carriganass  ( Rock of the waterfall ) Castle. This castle was an outpost of Donal Cam O’Sullivan Beare. After the battle of Kinsale in 1602, having lost control of his strongholds in Dunboy and Dursey. He led his band of 1000 followers past this castle in mid winter, on a tragic journey to Leitrim. Attacked by both Irish and English on the way only 35 arrived in Leitrim 14 days later. We continued up the road past the castle climbing all the way. After after a little Bantry Bay can be seen.  Two and a half kilometers later we leave the road crossing a stile on our left, climbing steeply towards Knockbreteen hi